Thursday, February 8, 2007

Update of my week

It´s been a busy week again! so here a short update on how life is right now.

We unpacked almost all the moving boxes, there are maybe 7 left now, and a huge mountain of laundry as I want to wash all the towels and linens before using them again.

On Wednesday I had a test in Swedish to see where my language knowledge level is, it is an official state test that I took because I wanted to change from private school to public school. So far I payed for all my Swedish courses myself and went to a private school, it was pretty expensive but worth it, I learnt a lot in those 4 months. Now I feel it is time to change to public school and take lessons for free. I applied for the highest level of Swedish as a foreign language and of course they called me and wanted to test my knowledge. It was a very weird feeling to go there and put all my knowledge all I studied for in the past 4 months on the table and get a result. Well, I passed the test and am enrolled now for the level I wanted!!!

Yesterday I finished reading my first book in Swedish. It was a Swedish novel playing in Stockholm, the book has 325 pages and I finished it in one week! I am pretty proud of myself that I can read and understand a novel in Swedish and basically read as fast I do in other languages. Of course it is not some high literature but still I am very glad!

After the test on Wednesday I decided it was time to go to the hairdresser. When unpacking my boxes I came across a lot of pictures and saw my different hair styles and hair lenghts that I had over the past 12 years. Right now I have pretty long (the longest I ever had) hair, it looks nice, but I felt for a change. So I sat down and we started talking about how we could cut my hair and what would look good and all of the sudden I regretted it. I got up and left, without cutting on single hair. I have never done that before in my life, but it just didn´t feel right. And I am glad I didn´t do it. It is no fun to cut the hair by 15 or 20cm, that´s like waiting for it to grow again, either I have it long or short. Well, for now I stay with long :)

It keeps snowing and being freezing cold. We have to scrape the car every morning outside and even inside! But during daytime it looks fantastic, winter wonder land! Luckily the darkness is less and the days are longer, the snow brightens up the days and we can finally feel we go towards spring, even if covered in snow.

I wish you all a gut Shabbes and a nice weekend!

9 comments:

Toto said...

JS..........how funny that you left the barber chair! Good for you for listening to your gut! :) I can't even imagine having to scrape the car in and out! You should have an underground parking lot like we do under our building. We definitely don't need it as much as you!!!

ok, stay warm and have a great weekend!

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Busy week, do you have the same email? Could you email me so I have the email.

Stacey said...

Wow, you must have a great affinity for languages!

I have long hair, too, and don't want to cut it. My mother keeps telling me that when I hit 40, I need to cut it. (I am 38). NO!!

Anonymous said...

Mycket bra! I wish I could read books in Swedish.
I taught myself Swedish when we started the exchange but unfortunately I don't get much chance to practise.

smb said...

congrates on learning swedish. That would probably take me a long time to do.

Also, that's interesting about deciding to not cut your hair. I'm sure it look nice the way it is.

Baleboosteh said...

Sounds like you are doing very well with your Swedish! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't commented as of late...anyway, I think its awesome that you've picked up the language so quickly. Very impressive! And as for the haircut, pretty ladies can go long, short or in between. Being one of that class yourself, no matter what I'm sure you look great.

Mia M said...

Emah_s: we are in a waiting list for an underground garage, hope we will get a place SOON!

Stacey: I am sure your mom will change her mind, she is just teasing you. I love you long hair!

Ilana: It is difficult to learn a language if you can´t practice. Maybe you could spend a vacation here and take an intensive course?

lvnsm27: I am really fighting with my Swedish and trying not to talk English eventhough everybody speaks better English than I do Swedish. I like my hair, so happy I didn´t cut it :)

Danielle: Remember a couple of months ago when I didn´t know what to do and at the end I decided to continue to only speak Swedish and not switch to English? Well, it pays off now, I learnt much more this way :)

Amishav: thanks, you´re sweet! Don´t worry about commenting, I know how much is going on in your life right now! Hang in there!

Hila said...

JS,

If you want to practice Swedish with someone, maybe we could set up a chat? I am not very good when it comes to written Swedish, but I need to work on improving it, so I would be happy to have someone to talk to!

-Hila