Friday, February 23, 2007

not much happening

Nothing much happening in my world, nothing that I really think is blogworthy at least.

I could write about how weird I find it that in the Swedish lunch meal at work you can choose the following drinks: milk, water and light beer. But for a healthy juice you have to pay extra. Here´s another weird thing about Sweden. The alcohol is controlled by the state, meaning only special shops are allowed to sell alcohol and these shops are belonging to the government. Their opening hours are therefore very limited..... Ok, now here´s the weird thing, they show a lot of commercial for different alcoholic drinks on TV but once you go to the store to buy it, there are signs and leaflets to help you if you have an alcohol problem, you really almost feel ashamed to even go in a "System Bolaget" as these shops are called. While you queue at the cashier you have a lot of time to read the signs and at the end you feel guilty for even drinking a glass of wine. Beside that it is totally weird to have commercial but then these leaflets, I find it even weirder that most Swedes like it, they think it is a good system and it helps the country and it obviously works. Of course there are many that think it is ridiculous and are convinces that it will change with time and alcohol will get free on the market, allowing better prices and better opening hours.

I could write that it is still snowing with no end, we still have to scrape the car every morning. We had the (hopefully) coldest day of the year on Wednesday with -17celcius (about 0 Fahrenheit). I was told that the winter will continue for another 2 months. Even though it is beautiful, I am kind of ready for spring now. At least the days are lighter now. From around 7am - 5pm. But I rather attach some pictures, they say more than words.

I could write that my husbands grandparents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. Both are in relatively good health. How fantastic and seldom these days to be married for 60 years! A big Mazel tov to them (even though they are of course not reading this blog)!

I could write that I can´t wait to go to Zurich in April, I really start to miss my family, my friends and the city and country itself a lot lately. It´s been now 4 months since I last visited, I know it is not long ago, but still it feels very long.

I could write that we still didn´t finish all the renovations. We are still living without skirting-boards (I got this word from the translator, I mean the small wooden strip that comes between the walls and the floor and between the floors of the rooms). We still haven´t unpacked all the boxes. And we have to go again to Ikea to buy some things.

I could write that today my study-partner is coming over and we are starting to prepare for our exam in May. I created a study plan, we each prepare individually and then meet to go through what we studied during the week. Afterwards, her husband and 1-year old child will join us and we´ll have dinner together. Our husbands haven´t met, so we both hope they will get along well.

I could write that it is 7:30am and I woke up even though I can sleep in. My biological watch is obviously set to week-days and 7:30 is probably enough sleeping-in for my body (usually I get up at 6:40) I can´t fall asleep again once I am awake..... So I might as well start to clean the apartment and prepare for later (or blog).

Last but not least I could write that I got a Kitchen-Aid, Kitchen assistant from Mr. J.S. and I am now baking Challes with no end. I love the machine and the freezer starts to fill up with Challes - Yum!

Ok, and now I really run out of things to write. I hope you all had a calm and nice Shabbes and I wish you a good new week!

5 comments:

Toto said...

love it, great post mia! And the pictures are splendid!!! too funny about the beer for work lunch. do people drink midday like that though? Guess if they have just one and if it's light, it may not cut down on productivity too much! :D

take care,,,,,,,,,,

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

60th wedding anniversary. Mazel Tov.

Sounds as if you have much to be blessed for these days.

Anonymous said...

No, not so much to Blog about- just life- and it sounds like you sure have a lot going on. And I like those snowy pics- everything has pretty much melted around here, which is good, because the snow was looking all nasty and grey. Your snow looks beautiful.

Pragmatician said...

really cool pictures.
I haven't seen snow in a while and I don't miss it at all.
I have to say that this country sure has alot of funny regulations although I imagine that there are reasons for them.

Ilana-Davita said...

Nice pics. I wish we had some snow but we've had a very mild winter in our part of the world.