Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Wedding anniversary gift

Next week, 20th January, is our first civil wedding anniversary. Yesterday I received an early anniversary present. Mr. J.S. bought me a GPS/Navigation system!!!!

I have no orientations sense at all and wouldn´t find my way around Stockholm without him by myside. I guess he got a bit tired of me being so dependent on him and always being my chauffeur. So my, navi as I called it, was in action today. It was fantastic and I can´t imagine driving without it ever again.

I am very scared of driving on high ways, I don´t like the speed and I don´t like changing lanes etc. This was not always like that. When I made my driving license with 18 all was fine, when I lived in the Swiss alps I would drive up and down the alps, use the highway and usually drive over the speedlimit. And then something happend, I can´t put my finger on it. It wasn´t one accident particularly. I was hit by two cars in different accidents, while I was standing at a red light when I lived in Israel. But that can´t be the reason, since I wasn´t driving on the highway and I am not scared of driving in the city. Since my 4 years in Israel I don´t like to drive anymore. So, my guess is, that the crazy driving style of the Israeli´s scared me so much that unconsciously I am scared in all countries.

When I lived in Jerusalem, a friend of mine told me that she would never drive outside the city, she would never drive to Tel Aviv even, I was shocked by this and couldn´t understand how somebody with a driver license would say such a thing. And now I feel the same way. When my hubby was in Oslo for work I wouldn´t take the car to work myself, I rather use the subway and walk...... how could I become like this?

Well, by buying me this navigator my hubby wants to give me support and help me drive again. Today, I drove home from work, with him by my side of course, and it wasn´t fun, evening traffic and crazy drivers, but I drove and we arrived safely. So, I guess I will just drive more often, until I gain confidence again, I don´t know what else I can do. Any suggestions?

On other news: our 17 boxes from Hungary arrived, I could hardly believe that they all arrived! So, I have been unpacking and sorting and trying to find place for everything. Next week the movers will go and pick up our stuff in Switzerland, which will hopefully be delivered 2 weeks later.

Today we joined the gym, it is just across the street from our new home and we both HAVE TO go there at least twice a week. We both gained some weight and weren´t slim from the beginning, so now we have to loose weight, eventhough we hate to work out. They all say that you come to a point where you will have fun with it, I don´t believe that and so far I never reached this point, not even when working out. Soon the golf season will start, so at least then we get a workout with fun.

I booked our tickets to Switzerland for Pessach. I am so happy that we will be in Zurich this year, I love Pessach with my family. It is double great as my sister in law is pregnant and it is the first time we´ll see her and my brother and sis-in-law will also be in Zurich and not in Israel as in previous years, so for once we get the whole family to be together!

My sister is probably coming for a short weekend visit this weekend and if I am lucky my other sister will come the last weekend of the month. I miss them soooo much and can´t wait for them to come here. The other day I was at IKEA with hubby and all of the sudden I got so extremely sad, I couldn´t hold back my tears, Mr. J.S. asked what was wrong and I said (sobbing with tears running down my cheeks) I miss my sisters so much! He wanted to send me to Switzerland the same weekend, but that wouldn´t help as I want them to be here and choose new things for our new apartment. So I truly hope it will work out for them to come.

So, any suggestion about my driving problem? Anybody been in the same situation? I am grateful for any advice.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't give you advice about the driving but I can give you lots of advice about the weight- stop eating meat and meat products and do lots excercise at between 60 and 70% of your max heartrate- I lost over 40lbs in a year that way and have kept it off.

Baleboosteh said...

I never used to have a problem driving in the city, but since living in the country for a couple of years I am hoping to be able to walk places rather than drive when we move back to the city. I suppose it is something I will get used to again.

BTW, do you have 2 wedding anniversaries?

Pragmatician said...

The best thing to do in my opinion is to take a few driving lessons again.
The instructors usually have an extra break pedal so you’re more confident.
Take a few lessons and experience how different driving is anywhere than in Israel.

Mia M said...

Amishav: wow, that´s quite an achievement!!! I am not eating much meat, maybe on Shabbes but otherwise mostly veggies and fish. Hope the training will help :)

Baleboosteh: I usually walk in Stockholm, we live very central and it is great to walk here. But if you want to drive out to the industrial areas you need a car. Yes, we have 2 anniversaries, I will send you an email about it :)

Prag: I was actually thinking about it, but then I felt so silly as all I need is practice (and maybe a good psychiatrist :D)

cruisin-mom said...

just keep practicing, and I like the idea of more driving lessons.

Mia M said...

Cruisin: I drove alone this weekend and it felt really good! I love my "navi" - it´s my best new friend!